One device that easily gathers digital clutter is your phone. Regardless of the type of phone you use, it’s important to clear out digital clutter that takes up limited space. Here are some easy tips to decluttering your phone:
- Photos: Save all of your photos to your computer, then go back to your phone and delete ones you do not need every day. It’s nice to save pictures on phones to reference back to, but you don’t need every single picture with you every day.
- Music: Make sure you only store music that you listen to frequently. Your phone does not need to match your iPod exactly; maybe only keep your absolute favorite artists or your best playlists on your phone.
- Emails/Texts: Depending on the type of phone you have, it may be a good idea to delete old emails and text messages. These messages take up a lot of space in your phone, in particular emails.
- Voicemails: How often do you need those voicemails you’re saving? Listen to all of your voicemails and determine which ones can be deleted.
- Apps: Go through each app and ask yourself how often you really use it. Often times, when people get a new smartphone, they download several new apps. But in reality, only a few apps become frequently used. Delete apps that are never used (you can also put them back on your phone through your iTunes later).
- Organization: Create a system for organizing all of your apps. One effective way is to sort apps by category, each on a separate page (ie. one page for all of your games, one page for all of your tools, etc.). Similarly, you can also try sorting apps by categories into folders (ie. one folder for all of your games). This will help you find apps you need much more quickly.
- Contacts: Look through your contacts to identify individuals you no longer need. Find a phone number you needed at your old job, but now never use? Go ahead and delete that contact now that it is irrelevant information. You might want to save all of your contacts in your main contact management system before clearing out your phone contacts.
- Maintenance: Add a reminder to your phone or calendar to help you maintain your phone’s digital clutter. Try going through these tips once a month.