How many to-dos do you have floating around in your head right now? Half of the battle with task management is getting to-dos out of your head and capturing them somewhere. To help you process your to-dos more efficiently we have identified 6 questions to ask yourself. It may take a little getting used to, but don’t give up! It gets easier over time.
6 questions to ask yourself when processing to-dos:
- Can I do this in 2 minutes or less? If the task is quick and easy, complete it right away to get it done. This is especially true of tasks that come through your email.
- If I can’t do this task in 2 minutes, how long will it take me to complete it? Time estimates are one of the keys to good task management because it gives you a more realistic look at what you can accomplish in a day.
- Where am I tracking the task to ensure it gets completed? This will vary from person to person. While some people choose to track tasks on their calendar or in Microsoft Outlook, others enjoy the mobility of a to-do list app. If you don’t already have a to-do list app, we recommend either the Toodledo app (if you’re linear and analytical) or the Action Method app (if you prefer a visual layout).
- Can I batch this task with any other tasks? Put similar tasks together to help you save time. The possibilities for batching tasks are endless. It can be as simple as scheduling all of your networking meetings on the same day or only reading industry newsletters once a week.
- What do I need to complete this? Do you need to talk to someone else before you complete the task? Does it require a phone call? Do you need your computer? Determine what else is required in order to complete the task. It’s never fun to sit down to complete a task only to realize you’re missing something.
- Can I delegate this task to someone else? If so, we recommend you delegate.
Interested in additional task management training? Join us for a hands-on training workshop on June 6th, 2013 called Check It Off! Innovative Task Management for Your Growing To-Do List.